First Day! Yay?

I’ve finally started my new job! Whoo! Yesterday was my first day and it was great, but getting back into the swing of things is going to take a bit of getting used to.

For the first day, our call time was 10:30 but I arrived 15 minutes early just for good measure and to get to my desk. My desk, which by the way, has no computer. I also did not bring my laptop… rookie mistake. In my defense though, I was looking at it in the morning but maintenance came by and distracted me in the middle of heading out.

This new desk is also much smaller, has high walls in-between, and no drawers! It’s definitely not the bright space I had before where talking to the team was easy and natural light filled the floor. This building is also a bit different. It’s located in a strange area and there isn’t anywhere to really walk to or space to sit and enjoy lunch away from the desk. Since I’m now salary, I am going to make it an effort to take and enjoy my hour lunch (like right now) instead of work through it and make overtime. The commute is also about 25-30 minutes, not bad but having moved to be 10-15 minutes away from work, I was a bit spoiled.

The team I work with is great, two of them I was with at my previous job so we already know each other and how to work together. We’ve been doing a lot of group brainstorming and all of us work very well.

Since I’ve been used to being at my apartment and being able to eat whenever or enjoy a late lunch/early dinner, and being home by 7pm at my last job, leaving here at 7 was a bit rough. I miss most of traffic, which is nice, but instead of changing into my gym clothes and going to a gym on my way back, I HAD to go home and eat.

I got back, ate some dairy-free and gluten-free cookies I made Sunday night, and then finally made myself a sandwich! On Sunday, I was also having an issue with my toilet and that main issue was fixed in the morning only to come home to a different toilet issue. This was pretty annoying and didn’t add to my “hanger” (past-tense of “hangry”) but hopefully when I get home today it’s all fixed! I took some time to make a new maintenance request, ate my sandwich and packed today’s lunch, and just kinda… sat there.

It felt too late to go to the gym but then trying to think of my workout schedule if I skipped stressed me out, I also needed to Swiffer and do laundry but it felt too late for that. Finally, around 8:30pm, my friend Sarah texted me about my first day. I kinda had to brain dump to her about my current situation and she told me to go to the gym to de-stress and I’ll be happy I went.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 2.59.53 PM.png

I ended up going to the gym from 9-10pm and started Strength Feed! And of course, Sarah was right, I felt amazing after. This morning, I smashed out day 2 of Strength Feed before work and today when I get home I can relax and do those chores. I definitely want to try to make it to the gym before work more often but now that I’m starting the 4-day program, I feel a bit more relaxed about it.

It’s going to take me at least a week or two to get used to this, but I’m excited for this new opportunity. Last night I felt so stressed and overwhelmed about it all but I’m going to make sure to do what I say, schedule my week and workouts better, and just take it day by day!

I can’t wait to share what I’ll be doing and just learn from this whole experience. If you’ve gone through a similar situation or have any tips for me, let me know in the comments!

xo, Lo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s